Dr Mohamed A Khatwa
Dr Mohamed A Khatwa is a Consultant ENT Surgeon with special interest in Rhinology and Snoring in Plymouth. He has expanded his experience in nasal and sinus surgery by completing an accredited fellowship in Rhinology at Derriford hospital. He also has a special interest in snoring management and his research in this field was published in international peer reviewed journals. He has been actively involved in the area of research with national and international peer-reviewed publication.
His Sinus Surgery based in Plymouth focuses on snoring services, nasal disorders and ENT procedures.
ENT Surgery in Plymouth focuses on helping people with snoring issues they have had over a number of years. This is a common problem with patients in Plymouth and the private practice deals with this issue on a regular basis.
There can be a number of reasons as to why people snore. The main factors we see is that snoring can be hereditary, a blocked nose can cause snoring, also your sleeping position and a large amount of children can face snoring issues such as sleep apnoea.
If you do decide to visit the ENT Private Practice in Plymouth we will go through these steps to ensure the best outcome:
- You will be asked about the problem.
- You will be examined, including your weight and height to calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI).
- You will be advised about weight loss if appropriate.
- You may have some form of “sleep study” recommended and arranged. The essentially involves measuring your blood oxygen level, breathing and pulse rate. It can be done either in the hospital overnight or by using a portable machine to take home overnight.
- If the “sleep study” reveals you have sleep apnoea specific treatment will be recommended: “Continuous Positive Airway Pressure” (CPAP) treatment. This involves wearing a mask over your nose at night. The mask gently blows air into you all the time, holding the airway open during breathing. This treatment is effective but needs careful supervision, particularly at first and not all patients find it tolerable or useful.
- If your nose is blocked and contributing significantly towards the snoring, you may be offered an operation to clear your nose, or you can have a device to keep your nasal airway patent during a nights sleep.
For more information please visit our Snoring Services
Patients with nasal disorders in Plymouth may find they have severe issues that they didn’t even know they had. The common problems we see and try to help are Rhinology, Nasal Polyps and Sinusitis. Sinus Surgery (FESS) procedure may need to be looked into to relieve patients of painful sinus infections or relieve symptoms of chronic sinusitis.
If it is decided that you need Sinus Surgery, ENT Private Practice will make you as comfortable as possible and will guide you throughout the whole process.
An endoscope is used by the doctor to check the sinus and surrounding nasal passages and is used to remove any inflamed tissue which is the likely source of pain and/or polyps. Polyps are areas of swollen mucosa (nasal lining) which are formed by chronic inflammation and can block the passage of air and in some instances, reduce the nose’s smelling function. This type of surgery in Plymouth is called functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS).
For more information please visit Nasal Disorders
Ent Private Practice in Exeter can perform three types of surgeries. These are Rhinology, Throat Surgery and Ear Surgery.
Rhinology in Plymouth:
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS).
- Removal of Nasal Polyps (Endoscopic Polypectomy).
- Deviated Nasal Septal Surgery (Septoplasty).
- Nasal Valve Surgery.
- Turbinate Reduction Surgery (Turbinoplasty).
- Nasal Re-shaping Surgery (Rhinoplasty).
Throat Surgery in Plymouth:
- Removal of the Adenoid (Adenoidectomy).
- Snoring Surgery (Uvulopalatoplasty.
- Endoscopic examination of the Larynx.
- Endoscopic examination of the Pharynx.
- Endoscopic examination of he Oesophagus.
Ear Surgery in Plymouth:
Insertion of Ventilation tubes for Glue ears (Grommets & T-tubes)
Repairing Ear drum perforation (Myringoplasty)
For more information please visit ENT Procedures
Plymouth based in the South West is a small city known for its sea views and eye catching lighthouse on the Hoe. With a vast array of things to do, shops to visit and the Cathedral around the corner from the high street, there is always lots to do. Whether you’re passing through or visiting for some time away, you’ll definitely fall in love with this idealistic city.
The ENT Private Practice in Plymouth is located in the Nuffield Health Centre If you’re unsure how to get here, please feel free to contact us for directions.
Too far for reaching the Plymouth? We have more centres. See the area we cover
Where we are
Nuffield Health Plymouth